Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Air Force Blocks Access to Many Blogs

The Air Force is tightening restrictions on which blogs its troops can read, cutting off access to just about any independent site with the word "blog" in its web address. It's the latest move in a larger struggle within the military over the value -- and hazards -- of the sites. At least one senior Air Force official calls the squeeze so "utterly stupid, it makes me want to scream." I agree with that last statement.

Read the rest here at Wired

2 comments:

Cookie..... said...

Yupper...I learned of this over a year ago when I was corresponding with one Marine officer and a couple of guys from Blackwater who were in Iraq. They told me they couldn't get access to my blog, which as you know, is a very patriotic blog. This really frosted the hell outta me John...but, I guess its necessary on some level....

John said...

I don't see it as being necessary. These are adults that should be able to read what they want to when they are not working ( as long as it is legal )... I also think they should be allow to post to blogs as long as they are not posting Operations Information and things that might endanger National Security. They ( the military ) need to have realistic rules and guidelines for internet use and I stress the word realistic. That said I fully support our government and all our troops