Thursday, July 06, 2006

Windows Vista: No Upgrading Necessary

My Desktop Click Image to see larger version.

My Sons Desktop with Desktop Sidebar. Click Image to see larger version

I found a really neat site today that's called "The Poor Man's Windows Vista: No Upgrading Necessary" after visiting the site I downloaded and installed Desktop Sidebar I will try it out for a few days and let you know how it goes. So far I really like it. It has an auto hide feature so you don't lose screen real-estate. So far it is using an acceptable 8 megs of ram on my system. See screen shots above to see it on my or my sons desktop.

From their site.


How can you make this possible? Choose from among a wide selection of information conduits (e.g. MS Outlook, toolbars, newsfeeds), called "panels". Fully customizable, Desktop Sidebar allows you to dock these panels to the edge of the screen, or arrange them anywhere on your desktop as you wish. All panels are configurable with a number of specific options. With hundreds of skins available in our Extension Exchange Page and an easy to use Skin Editor, you can freely change the appearance of Desktop Sidebar to suit your tastes.

Pre-installed Panels include:
Newsroom
Calendar
Tasks
Inbox
Notes
Performance
Mail Checker
Clock
Messenger, Miranda IM and ICQ
Media Player
WinAmp
Volume Control
Toolbar
Weather
Search Bar
Stock
Slideshow

Download Desktop Sidebar

No comments: