Wednesday, August 09, 2006

New build: Windows Live Messenger 8.0.0812.00



New build: Windows Live Messenger 8.0.0812.00

Less than two months after the final release of Windows Live Messenger, a new build was released last night. No word on any changes in Windows Live Messenger 8.0.0812.00 from the previous version, but I'm looking into it.

Download it here

http://get.live.com/messenger/overview

Addendum

Serious improvements to the quality of audio and video

Fewer messenger crashes, hangs, and connectivity issues.

Fix for "error 80004005"

“Before I got this error, I had just changed my friendly name to something REALLY long w/ emoticons.”

That was the key! In messenger, there is a max length for friendly names. When you sign-in it checks to make sure your friendly name is under this max. But it was calculating the length in two different ways:

Below is from the Messenger Blog

"Say limit is 6 characters per friendly name. Messenger would let me type “LeahJ” no problem, because it was counting the whole emoticon as one character, and thus my friendly name was 5 characters total. But the next time I tried to sign-in, Messenger would do a check which would count each character of the emoticon separately and thus “Leah:-)” added up to 7 characters, which is over the max limit of 6. Error."

No comments: